Some of the most costliest homeowners’ insurance claims are from sewer and water backup mishaps. The most common cause of a backup in your sewer lateral is from items the line is not meant to handle.
There are a few simple things that you can do to prevent a sewer backup and protect your sewer line:
- Maintain your sewer system including any preventative measures you have in place such as a backwater value, a sump pump, or other. Contact a plumber or specialist to conduct a routine inspection to check that your system is functioning properly
- Locate your property’s sewer lateral to help determine if your line is at risk of being damaged by tree and shrub roots. If so, seek professional help to trim these roots or look into replacing your line with a plastic pipe.
- As a general rule, only flush toilet paper down your drain. Most other products are not designed to deteriorate quickly and can clog your sewer line.
- Do not allow the following to go down your kitchen sink:
– Grease and fats – these items solidify as they cool, which can quickly result in clogged pipes.
– Oils – regardless of the type you use, continuously rinsing oil down the drain can cause buildup in your pipes.
To protect your sewer line, dispose of these items in your garbage can.
- Contact Swift Digital Insurance for more information on sewer backup prevention and affordable coverage options.
For additional information on sewer backup prevention and affordable coverage options, contact Swift Digital Insurance today!