The Hiring Process
Whether your home improvement projects are large or small, hiring a reliable and competent contractor is vital to any successful project. Here are some tips to help you hire a good contractor.
Hiring a Contractor
Once you’ve made a list of potential contractors to use, it’s best to interview them. Here are some important questions to ask:
- How many projects similar to the ones on your house has the company done?
- Will the company work no the project full time?
- Will the company hire subcontractors to assist with the job?
- What kind of permits are required for the project?
- How long will the project take to complete? Does the company guarantee a finish date?
After the interview process, obtain a written bid from at least three prospective contractors. The bid should include materials, labour rates, time to complete the job and most importantly, proof of liability insurance.
If a contractor needs to hire subcontractors, the company must pay them on time or the subcontractors can put a lien on your home. To protect yourself, ask the contactor, subcontractors and suppliers for a lien release or lien waiver.