Did You Know?
The largest source of fire in Canadian homes comes from fuel burning appliances. The main causes of fire include: inadequate clearance between the wood burner and walls, floors and furniture; creosote buildup in the chimney; poorly or improperly installed chimneys and improper installation of the wood burner itself.
Wood Burning Stove Safety
Use these tips to safely use your wood burning stove:
1. Read the instructions for your wood burning stove and follow them carefully.
2. Inspect the firebrick liner in your stove, if you have one. Should the liner show signs of wear, replace it immediately and do not use the unit until the liner is replaced.
3. Do not use flammable or combustible liquid (gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid, etc.) to start a fire.
4. Burn wood recommended by the manufacturer only.
5. Do not burn plastic, garbage or wood that has been painted or treated with chemicals.
6. Be sure to have properly maintained smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and an approved multi-purpose fire extinguisher in your home.
7. Never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. Doing so will cause the fire to heat up which will force toxic carbon monoxide into your house.
8. Take extra care when disposing of hot ashes and remember that these embers may still be hot for several days.
Solid fuel units tend to require a lot more maintenance than other heating systems. Therefore, regular inspections and care are needed to protect your home and family against fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Important Insurance Note: Wood heat sources require special approval from your insurance provider. Failure to obtain approval can cause the policy to be voided. Please discuss any such units with your broker.